Friday, March 30, 2012

Has anyone seen my German?

The weather has been (mostly) just wonderful lately.  I feel that Spring really is coming and, more than other years, I feel I quite deserve it after having been here pretty much all of winter.

One of my uni lecturers told me once that on her daily walk she tries never to walk the same way twice.  Exploring new pathways, roads etc, and hopefully not getting too lost in the process.

I wondered how this could be possible until I came here...Münich has over 200kms of bike pathways, and there are so many tracks that go in all different directions near my apartment.  I`m not so good about the daily part, but usually every second morning I go for a run and it`s wonderful to live in a flat city with bazillions of pathways.  And there`s even tracks alongside water...(because I really miss the beach!)


 




I have felt a little discouraged this week with the whole German language thing.  Everybody here speaks it! I went to 4 different language courses offered by the uni last week to find out which ones would be best for me....and have decided to stick to 3 out of the 4.  The fourth was horrible. I walked out of the class wanting to rip my ears off with pliers just so that I never had to hear German grammar explained to me in that way again. 
Not quite sure why I seem to have lost all prior learning when trying to have conversations this week.  I`m hoping the loss is only temporary.  I felt good only once this last week about my language skills...it was during a lecture when we had to rate ourselves on our level of English, from 1 being none, to 9 being fluent.  As the only native speaker in the room, I won the highest rating.  Ah well, you can`t win them all, eh?


Here are a couple more photos of my apartment...I´m really thankful for such a great place to live.  I can run to the U-Bahn station in under 2 minutes (every time! when will I learn to leave myself just a little more time!!) and it´s only about 10 minutes on the U-Bahn to the city centre.  

Top: the outside. 
Bottom left: downstairs...a tiny lounge area
Middle: Upstairs...bed and desk etc
Bottom right: Balcony...which gets lovely sunshine in the morning.

Next week Easter holidays begin!  The life of a uni student is hard...3 weeks back at uni and we have a week off.  Saas Fee here we come... 



No comments:

Post a Comment