Sunday, January 23, 2011

Of MICE (actually rats) and MEN (naked) (stoned) (angry)


The rats I've seen here are the size of small dogs. If I was a small dog, I would not want to meet one of these in a dark alley.

The men I've seen here are not the size of small dogs. They live in a world of social graces far different to my own. A visit to a Jain temple in Kolkata yielded some interesting results. Sometimes cool unique stuff happens and I'm really happy to be in the right place at the right time. This was NOT one of those times. Too much nakedness and nowhere to hide. Other people taking their shoes off and bowing low on the ground before the NAKED man with the very large stomach. I was wearing hiking shoes. These babies don't just come off at a moment's notice. And so I stand there awkwardly. Bowing doesn't show off my best features anyway.

STONED foreign man sat next to me that evening doing the best he could to hammer his hash flat (to save 20 rupees on the postage) so that he could post it home. I could have done a much better job, however I wish to stay out of jail for the next 20 years.

ANGRY man was our taxi driver. We managed to haggle a good price for our trip home , however I feared for my life many times during that journey. So much anger. It seemed like a good idea at the time - to save 10 rupees (20 cents) but imagine if I died because of scrimping on 20 cents?!

India English makes me laugh all the time.



Favourite advertisement of the week?

www.matrimonyclassifieds.com

2 comments:

  1. Close your eyes
    Move away from Hashman
    Pay the extra 20cents
    Wear a Helmet
    Come home safe.
    Love Dad
    PS (almost forgot) Don't get bitten by a rat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be scabby Kylie, 20 cents aint that much for your life.....

    ReplyDelete